Ready to take a deep dive into the world of search engine optimization? There are a lot of elements to navigate in this area and that’s why so many business owners shy away from SEO. However, when it comes to digital marketing, this is the real bread and butter. Pinning down how to use Google’s SERP (search engine results page) to your advantage is exactly how you will garner attention from your target audience on the world wide web. Once you understand this concept, the methodology will be a lot easier to navigate. Let’s start with what exactly Google’s SERP is with a focus on the different sections so you know what you’re aiming for with SEO tactics and initiatives.
What is Google’s SERP?
Search engine results pages are the pages on the internet that come up when a user searches for something online with a search engine (like Google). What they search for is what digital marketers refer to as ‘keywords’. If your website is properly optimized, it will include these keywords within the content so search engines find your site when users search for them and will then display it on the SERP. Because Google is the most used search engine on the web, digital marketers perform regular research on how to optimize content specifically for Google’s SERP.
What to Know About Google’s SERP
In 2019, Google generated 62.7% of all core search queries in the US. Think about how often you hear people say ‘Google it’ instead of ‘search for it’ online. Therefore, an SEO digital marketing company spends ample time studying Google’s algorithm in order to use it to their advantage. Google’s algorithm changes in small ways regularly, and one to two times a year it makes a major core update. In order to ensure websites are showing up on the first Google SERP, it’s essential to be aware of these changes and modify efforts accordingly.
This brings us to SERP marketing and how it works. SERP marketing is a set of methods used to promote a business through search engine results. There are two types of SERP marketing to know: SEO and SEM.
What is SEO?
SEO (search engine optimization) is the process that allows businesses to achieve a high ranking in Google’s SERP organically. Organic refers to the ability to do it without paid methods like PPC. Google provides advice with every algorithm update explaining how the search engine looks for and chooses the results it does. When SEO is done well, specific efforts will be performed on a regular basis following this information provided by Google.
What is SEM?
SEM (search engine marketing) is the process of attracting traffic from search engines via paid services like advertisements and listings. The one you hear a lot about is Google Ads, which appear at the top of Google’s SERP, below organic search results, and on the sidebar. These paid listings are also driven by keywords and you are usually charged every time someone clicks on each ad. Some businesses choose to invest in both SEO and SEM services provided by digital marketers. A dependable company will perform research and give you sound advice on which avenue is most beneficial for you based on your industry and whether or not investing in both is in your best interest.
What are the SERP Features?
SERP features are any results on Google’s SERP that are not organic. The most common of these are:
- Rich Snippets. The addition of a visual layer like review stars for product ratings.
- Universal Results. Additional results that come along with organic, like images or featured snippets.
- Paid Results. Results that are bought by bidding on keywords like Google Shopping or Adwords.
- Knowledge Graph. Information that shows as a panel or box, like weather or the Celebrity Knowledge Panel.
How a Digital Marketing Company Provides SEO
While each method is beneficial, the tried and true way to boost and maintain your ranking is by practicing all of the SEO techniques together on a consistent basis. Most business owners or managers have difficulty finding the time to keep up with this demand, so they turn to an expert for SEO support. At Brew City Marketing, we provide packages comprised of SEO efforts based on the investment you’re willing to put into your ranking. Our most powerful package includes:
- Content Creation. If you check out the advice provided by Google, you will find that content is key for SEO. Building well-written content that is richly infused with keywords on a regular basis is the most powerful tool for getting a high ranking on Google’s SERP.
- Backlinking. When a high-ranking website puts links to your website within their content, this helps boost your ranking and is called a backlink. BCM has tools to get you multiple backlinks a month so your website is recognized by Google as a dependable source.
- Performance & Competitor Tracking. In order to know what’s working for your industry, it’s essential to keep an eye on the competition that’s finding success with SEO. Comparing your traffic to theirs gives us valuable insight into what efforts would be most effective for garnering traffic.
- Increasing Site Accessibility. The more information about you on the web there is, the more likely Google is to find your website and share it as a reputable source. We have methods to boost your listings with keywords and pull your best reviews to the forefront so that Google is more likely to choose you as a good option for those searching for the things you specialize in on the web. Our main ways of doing this include:
- Google My Business.
- Review Management.
- Local Accreditation.
Contact Us for SEO Services
Curious how your website is currently performing? Sign up for our free SEO report.
Ready to boost your ranking on Google’s SERP? Contact us today.